-Well! It was yet another very busy day at the site! The end of the semester is getting nearer and with only one more day of solid excavation on our schedule remaining, we set to work so that we would accomplish as much as possible.
In Unit 13, Dr. White, Mr. DuVal, Robert, and Caroline continued the excavation and mapping of the features that remained in the unit, with two of them possibly being post holes well below the plow zone. Speaking of the plow zone, they also mapped out the different zones in relation to one another and for future reference in which we can accurately map out where the data is being collected from.
In Unit 5, Will and Katie both continued the process of piece plotting in the floor of the unit, marking each object so that we can get a better idea of what has covered the unit with so much debitage.
In Unit 4, Sam and Ben bisected the feature (Feature 12) that took up a large portion of the unit. Taking their time, they made a slight step within the feature as it changed its shape while they were excavating it. They also removed several pieces of FCR (fire-cracked-rock) that were then brought back to the lab so they could be analyzed.
In Unit 6, Ella and I started with the removal of the back fill that was put into the excavated half of Feature 11 to protect the other half that had yet to be excavated. After removing the back fill, we drew the feature in profile so that we would be able to see exactly how large it was and the location of anything that we removed once we excavated the remaining half. We then took the core of the other half of the feature from the top to the bottom as a flotation sample. After this we began to remove the the southwestern half of the feature. We continued to do this until we ran out of time and then refilled the feature with back fill so that we could continue without it being disturbed.